Experimentation kits, physical properties of proteinsProveedor: G-Biosciences
BE-401EA 292 EURBE-401
Experimentation kits, physical properties of proteins
Materiales educativos Materiales educativos de biología Biochemistry Learning Activities
The physical properties of proteins kit is a lab activity that enables students to investigate the physical properties of several different proteins. Students will learn about protein solubility and how it is affected by various parameters; including temperature, pH, salt and dielectric constant. They will understand about protein precipitation due to pH, high salt and in the presence of organic solvents and about protein denaturation as a result of high temperature. In addition, the kit will demonstrate how non-protein agents, such as detergents drastically alter the physical properties of protein molecules and as a result, understand the importance of detergents in protein solubilisation. This lab activity involves analysis of three different types of pure proteins and then students alter some of those properties with a detergent and re-examine physical properties of those proteins. Students are challenged to consider how physical properties of protein molecules can be exploited for purification and characterisation of proteins and apply their findings on a test sample of complex tissue extract.
- Physical properties of proteins molecules in aqueous solution
- Effect of temperature on protein solubility and denaturation
- Effects of pH on protein solubility and protein isoelectric point
- Role of salt on protein solubility and protein salting-out or precipitation
- Interaction between protein, water molecules and hydrogen bonds
- Effects of organic solvent on dielectric constant and protein precipitation
- The effects of detergents in altering the physical properties of proteins
Also required: Water bath or beaker and thermometer, low speed centrifuge for 1,5 to 2 ml tubes.
Información de suministro: Supplied with components needed for hands-on experimentation for six workstations of 4 to 5 students or 24 to 30 students. Supplied with Teacher’s Guide and separate Student’s Guides.